Melbourne Footy Trip

I Love football. I love blogging. Why not start a footy blog?
I'm about to take a group of kids from country WA to Melbourne for a feast of footy fun, this is the place for news , stories and pictures of our adventures.

About Me

My photo
Addicted to blogging. Married. Father of 4. Sport Nut. Geelong mad. Chaplain. Painter. I'm an Ideas Man. Hard to beat at Trivial Pursuit or Scrabble.

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Day Seven

We actually managed to get up and get away early this morning and set off for Southern Cross in order to catch a train to Geelong. Unfortunately there was a setback to our plans when I discovered that the Cats weren't training today and that tomorrow they're having a closed session with the gates locked!
So, the kids did not get to go to the home of good football, Kardinia Park.

I rang StKilda and the Western Bulldogs but neither club was training today, the best we could come up with was to go to Richmond training tomorrow morning at 11.
Plan B swung into action and we set off for Collingwood to go shopping at Smith Street. The kids headed toward the Nike factory outlet but apparently it was unimpressive. I bought a very cool pair of Converse shoes for $30 though at the Converse outlet!
Smith St has a plethora of interesting shops and Sophie and I went happily hunting through op shops, antique shops, collectible and memorabilia shops, little galleries, cafes and a range of other cool and intriguing places for a couple of hours. I spent a lot of time at one particular memorabilia store that was crammed full of great stuff. Sadly all the footy badges were too expensive; I refuse to spend $45 for a Collingwood or Carlton badge! I got a full set of Olympic Games cards for 75c each instead.
Sophie bought an old camera, her second since she's been here, the start of her collection, and a very cool present for her brother Zach.
The kids didn't buy much other than food. It's funny how things that are built up beforehand can be disappointing in reality, the mythical status of Smith St Collingwood has tantalised them all week but in the end was not that inspiring or enticing.
They did have one moment of excitement when a strange bloke started yelling at them and threatening to stab them! They sensibly beat a hasty retreat and we crossed to the other side of the road to maintain our safety!
From Collingwood we took a tram into the city. A Jay Jays store was more to their liking! Yes, the same Jay Jays as they could find in Perth!
Then we played tourist and all climbed aboard a horse and buggy and took a ride down Swanston St, across Princes Bridge and past the Art Gallery before being dropped off opposite Flinders St station.

It was time for a bit of culture! We went to the Ian Potter Gallery at Federation Square, containing one of the best collections of Australian art in the country. I was surprised at the range of artists and famous paintings on display there, Nolan, McCubbin, Roberts, Whitely, Olley, and others that I can't remember. "The Pioneer" by McCubbin a three panel painting that I am certain you will recognise is on display there along with many other well known landscapes. It is a veritable treasure trove of Australian art and history.
Now, it may surprise you that the kids were not quite so fascinated with this journey through the history of Australian art as I was and after about 20 minutes they'd seen enough and were ready to move on!
Sophie sent me a text to tell me they had assembled in the foyer and were getting restless. I stalled them as long as I could but in the end I had to give in to their combined restlessness and boredom and abandon my visit prematurely before the security guards who were circling around them warily in the foyer moved in for the kill! The highlght of their visit was an encounter with actor John Wood who they managed to get a picture taken with, and doesn't he look happy about it?

Once they'd escaped the gallery we headed for the Eureka Skydeck and took the lift 90 stories up at 9.8m/sec in Australia's tallest building. The view from the top is pretty awesome as you can imagine.
A few of the kids went for the extra thrill of "The Edge", a glass floored cube extending out from the side of the tower, for an extra charge of course! They seemed pretty happy with it and bought the memento pictures to complete the experience. We watched the sun go down and the lights come up all over Melbourne and were then able to see the lights of Geelong in the far distance across Port Philip Bay.
It warmed the cockles of my heart to see my old home town, even at a distance of 70km!

We raced for the 6.30 Craigieburn train and managed to keep the doors from closing before we all scrambled aboard and headed back to Glenroy.
The customary stop at Coles to get some food for dinner then home to Box Forest.
Sophie cooked stir-fry and noodles which everyone enjoyed.

After dinner and the dishes were done I got the kids together and told them a bit of my story and my journey of faith. They listened with a reasonable degree of interest and respect which I appreciated.
It was a bit late for questions by then but I've left the forum open for anything they may want to ask.

I've just turned the lights out, we've got a fairly busy day planned but best of all, we've got another footy game to go to, the Bulldogs v Collingwood which shapes as a blockbuster at Docklands.


I'll finish with something a little different tonight, a transcript of a couple of text messages exchanged by Sophie and her brother Jordan today.

Sophie to Jordan: I bought you something super cool in Melbourne.

Jordy's response: Is this the casual gifting of travels, or is it (in honour of) the day upon which I exited mother's uterus?
Posted by Picasa

No comments: