Melbourne Footy Trip

I Love football. I love blogging. Why not start a footy blog?
I'm about to take a group of kids from country WA to Melbourne for a feast of footy fun, this is the place for news , stories and pictures of our adventures.

About Me

My photo
Addicted to blogging. Married. Father of 4. Sport Nut. Geelong mad. Chaplain. Painter. I'm an Ideas Man. Hard to beat at Trivial Pursuit or Scrabble.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Home

We're home. Safe and sound after our 11 day adventure to the eastern states.
Serious attention to packing brought all of us in under the 15kg weight limit on check in; high-5s all round.
Our last act as a group was an impromptu affirmation exercise in the airport lounge at gate 18. It was a little rushed, and interruipted a number of times by boarding calls on the PA but we managed to squeeze it in. It was an opportunity to give and to hear some positive feedback about the things they've appreciated about one another on the trip and was taken in good spirit for something that was clearly unfamiliar to the kids.

We boarded the plane and took off for Perth at 10.15 SA time. Unfortunately the conditions on the plane were cramped and uncomfortable. I could barely fit my legs into the space provided and the girl in front of me tried in vain to lay her seat back but my knees prevented it from moving anywhere. It was also hot on board, despite the captain informing us it was -48 outside at our cruising altitude of 10,000m!
Eventually I couldn't stand it any more and fearing Deep Vein Thrombosis asked if I could move into a vacant exit row seat. After that I was way more comfortable and even managed to get some "plane sleep"* for about an hour.

Upon arrival at Perth the kids were picked up quite quickly by the designated parents and headed for home, all thanking me for taking them on the trip before departing.

Haydn came with Sophie and I as we took a taxi to Belmont to pick up my car and my youngest son Paul who had been staying with friends for a few days. Once we were all loaded we set off on the last leg of the journey, the three hour drive home to Busselton. Despite being woken up at 1 in the morning Paulie was very chirpy, prompting Haydn to comment during one of the many toilet stops, "He's a talker isn't he!"
I drove as far as Bunbury before handing over to Sophie who piloted us safely the rest of the way home and then delivered Haydn home to Dunsborough.

Carolyn woke up when we got home at 4.00 which wasn't ideal as she had to work at 8.00 but she was in good spirits considering.

I slept till 12.30 before getting up today.

It's good to be home.

*Not real sleep, just that vague state of uncomfortable unconsciousness achieved when sitting upright in a confined space.

No comments: