Melbourne Footy Trip

I Love football. I love blogging. Why not start a footy blog?
I'm about to take a group of kids from country WA to Melbourne for a feast of footy fun, this is the place for news , stories and pictures of our adventures.

About Me

My photo
Addicted to blogging. Married. Father of 4. Sport Nut. Geelong mad. Chaplain. Painter. I'm an Ideas Man. Hard to beat at Trivial Pursuit or Scrabble.

Friday, June 6, 2008

You know how I said we had the tickets for the tri[p? Well .....!

Footy Trips, like life, are seldom straight forward or short of drama!

Yesterday the mystery of the return airfare non-payment was resolved, then completely messed up again, by yours truly, fearless trip-leader and faithful blogger!

I'll try and encapsulate the unfolding drama in point form.

May 30: successfully paid for Perth-Melbourne leg of the trip, 16 air fares at a little over $3500 using direct bank transfer.

May 30: Unsuccessfully paid for return leg, reason unknown.

June 2; Rang airline to query lack of confirmation. "It's in the system, can't do anything but wait"

June 5: Checked bank balance. Money from airline refunded with error message on payment!

June 5: Re-submitted payment via bank transfer, dismayed to find that fares had increased by $20!!

June 5: Moments after clicking "send" on payment discovered to my horror the reason for initial problem amidst realisation I had just repeated the error!!!!!!!!!!
(I had failed to insert a booking code into my payment, thus rendering the money "unidentifiable" by the airline and destining it to gurgle around a few computers for a few days before being refunded back to my by-now embarrassed account!!!!!)

Period of dismay and strong urge to swear followed.

June 6: Talked to ever-helpful bank manager regarding possible solutions to my dilemma.
Dilemma heightened by news from airline that the original tickets are still on hold but unless paid for by Sunday will be lost!
Now have two lots of tickets on hold, neither paid for, neither confirmed!

June 6: Rang airline, "It's in the system, can't do anything but wait"
OR
"You can pay by credit card which will secure the tickets immediately"
The risk of repeating the various forms of bank transfer our collective brains had come up with being that the payment might not be approved in time and the booking would be lost anyway, what with the weekend coming up and the slowness with which banks process things you need urgently versus the speed with which banks process things they need urgently, like your money!

Sorry if I'm confusing you with the convoluted nature of this transaction history. Let me reassure you at this point, this story has a happy ending!

June 6: Rang reliable benefactor with bigger credit card and generous spirit (G'day Dad) and explained problem. Asked silly question, "Would you be happy to help me out of this self-made mess?"

"Happy!"

Hahaha, nervously rephrasing, "Willing?"

"Yes" with rider, "When do I get my money back?"

Based on past and painful history, about 4 or 5 days.

"OK"

Back to the airline web page, find booking, seek to pay with Benefactor's credit card, no provision via web site to make such transaction!
Ring airline, speak to Dale, helpful young man, explain predicament.

"I can process that for you over the phone"

Gave required numbers and details, Dale punched the info into his trusty keyboard, and voila, our airfares are paid! And, as a bonus, at the original price, thuis saving us $300, or more accurately, saving me from having to ask the parents for an extra $20 each!


Finally, can safely say we've got our tickets!

Many thanks to Reliable Benefactor :)

Received confirmation email and itinerary from airline.

3 comments:

Peter said...

Tell me... is this the stuff you're good at??
I know you don't have green thumbs or mechanical aptitude.
Signed; Reliable Benefactor.

Marcus said...

Sometimes!!!

Not in this instance obviously, but more often than not!!

Zaac said...

so, uhh... when do i get my money back?