Melbourne Footy Trip

I Love football. I love blogging. Why not start a footy blog?
I'm about to take a group of kids from country WA to Melbourne for a feast of footy fun, this is the place for news , stories and pictures of our adventures.

About Me

My photo
Addicted to blogging. Married. Father of 4. Sport Nut. Geelong mad. Chaplain. Painter. I'm an Ideas Man. Hard to beat at Trivial Pursuit or Scrabble.

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Shark Attack

Can The Great White Shark make history by becoming the oldest player ever to win a major in tonight's final round of the British Open?
I sure hope so.
I spent many an early morning watching him lose golf majors in the 80's and 90's, often from unlosable positions! The US Masters loss to Nick Faldo when he had a 6 stroke lead was the worst. I was there in person in 1984 when he lost an 18 hole play-off to Fuzzy Zoeller in the US Open at Winged Foot.
I'll be staying up tonight and hoping he can produce the magic one more time.

I caught the 10:29 train from South Geelong back to Melbourne this morning, just! It was about to close it's doors as I ran to the platform but I made it.

I dropped my gear off at the locker at Southern Cross and took a tram to the Queen Vic Markets. I only had an hour before the footy started so it was a bit of a whizz up and down the aisles looking for gifts for the family. I managed to find several things that I'm confident they'll like. I also needed to get a new backpack, because A. mine is falling apart and B. I can't fit all the stuff I've bought in my existing bags!!

Back on the tram down Elizabeth St to Telstra Dome for my final football game of the trip, Carlton V Sydney. It was a good game in front of a noisy crowd, split about 80/20 in the Blues favour, but it was not their day, despite leading by 5 goals at one stage and looking like winners, the Swans stormed back to take a 20 point lead late in the last quarter. Carlton made it interesting by kicking the last three goals but that wasn't quite enough and Sydney won by 2 points! I've had the privilege of watching Carlton lose two weeks in a row!!
While I was at the footy I ran into an old friend from Perth, Catherine Wood, who now works at a school in Pakistan. She was home visiting her parents and going to her first game at the Dome. It was good to see her and catch up on one another's news.

After the game I headed back to the lockers to do some rationalising and repacking. I think I've got it reduced down to three bags for the trip home on Tuesday morning!
I then caught the train to Epping where Gary and Nathan came to pick me up, I was glad when they arrived because the weather had turned cold and wet.
It's always good to see Gary and his family, my visits have become quite regular over the last few years. We've got Foxtel on the big screen watching the golf and awaiting the Shark's tee off.

Carn the Shark!

No comments: