Melbourne Footy Trip

I Love football. I love blogging. Why not start a footy blog?
I'm about to take a group of kids from country WA to Melbourne for a feast of footy fun, this is the place for news , stories and pictures of our adventures.

About Me

My photo
Addicted to blogging. Married. Father of 4. Sport Nut. Geelong mad. Chaplain. Painter. I'm an Ideas Man. Hard to beat at Trivial Pursuit or Scrabble.

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Rendezvous with The German Shepherd

Still in Sydney, the Pope and I have an appointment in a couple of hours at Darling Harbour.
I caught up with Alex and the 5 boys he was "supervising" at Circular Quay and we hung out for the night on the steps of the opera house where there was a "concert" of worship bands from all around the world, Jazz, African, Latin and rock. There were 1000s of young people, pilgrims as they're called, from many different countries, singing and dancing and playing and laughing and having a wonderful time all without the influence of alcohol or other drugs. It was a great atmosphere. At one point we went for a look inside the opera house and found a young woman singing beautifully to an appreciative audience of mostly young people.
Food is included in the pilgrim package and it was a virtual feeding of the 5000, all fed in groups of 6. Sadly not all the pilgrims respected keeping Australia beautiful so I spent about an hour cleaning up and picking up rubbish from the steps.
At the conclusion of the concert we took the train "home" to Schofields, near Quakers Hill, out beyond Blacktown where the group from Al's church are staying on a rural property with Bill and his family. Alex kept us all amused and apalled on the train ride home regaling us with stories and anecdotes of all things grotty!

This morning I went with the group to Catechesis (teaching) at Blacktown's catholic church where a bishop from Denver spoke about the church and the Holy Spirit then took questions from the floor. It was quite interesting and informative and there were many young people who are clearly serious about their faith.
I also bumped into Anselem from Kuwait/India who we met on the train home from the footy in Melbourne one night.

I've taken some time off on my own to do a little shopping before heading into the city.

I'm not sure where I'll stay tonight, Schofields is about two hours from the city by train and with a 7.15am flight I'd need to leave at 3am and I doubt the trains are running at that time of night (morning). I may go and crash at the airport and cut out the travel all together.

No comments: